Since graduating and getting a job as a software engineer, I've started attending programming meetups on about a weekly basis. I enjoy the events and the people and if anything will do it more frequently in the future.
Somewhat routinely when I ask people about technologies they work on they will try to give me a sales pitch at a later time. This is awkward since I don't make those decisions and have no desire to lobby those who do.
How should I talk to people when my priorities are as follows (highest to lowest):
- Ask them how they solved specific problems in their line of work.
- Discuss various cool things that can been done with software.
- Not be given sales pitches for business software.
- Preach the virtues of Python, Linux, test driven development, etc.
- Talk about current events, the stock market, and television.
I personally am a software engineer, but this problem likely exists for other industries.