I am working as Technical Team Lead for web application development Team. I have been there in the team since from 2 years. I have a team member who is performing below the mark, let us say his name is Mohan. Few positives about him are below
- He joined 4 months before me.
- His basic strength is professional etiquette and interpersonal skills. He is best in the team in these areas.
- With these strengths he has very good reputation with in managers and other devleads community.
- He is technically sufficient skills and potential to take up and execute any assignment.
However the below attributes the one which I don’t feel healthy
- My major concern is he is contributing below mark and his deliverables are less in quality and have more defects.
- He accepts the work and gives one dead line. When I review at the time of dead line he says the he is lagging so and so reason by ‘x' ammount. But he actually lagging 'x+y’ amount.
- On daily basis for some amount of time he is unavailable at his desk. That means he is spending less hours than every one else.
- There are many defects in his work and many regressions when he fix bugs too.
- At the same time when the defect becomes very critical and show stopper and it is in limelight, he solves it with perfect quality and with in less than the specified time. And every one applauds.
- But if the defect is not show stopper/critical the quality suffers. All his skills he uses to convince others and manage stake holder and do minimally required it.
- Because he is constantly lagging dead lines, the slip over items are falling on other team members and other team members are often overloaded.
- I heard complaints about him with in dev community as well.
I have set up an one on one meeting with him and talked with him about other devs complaints, how others are over loaded and requested him contribute. Meeting went very good and he accepted and agreed with me. But the result seems to be he fixed symptoms and not the root cause. I didn’t hear complaints any more. But there is no change in his behavior. He helped other team members to take up some of the things on the things which are in high lime light, But at the same time he ditched some of the important items which are not in lime light and which slips the dead lines again. I tried to bring this topic with manager, but I realized he doesn’t pay much attention to it, and doesn’t seem as much problem. More over I sense that it makes my leadership skills in question. Hence I didn’t prolong the discussion on this topic.
Finally, I am getting an impression that he just want to manage his reputation and image and make sure he is safe zone. But not much interested to contribute to the project success.
How can I motivate him to contribute more and deliver better quality work?