I worked for Company X for 10 years. They were a large company, I moved around and got to know a lot of people. The last year or so I felt stifled and like I wasn't developing technically, like I'd get stuck doing the same procedural things so I left on good terms giving long notice and starting a new job with the well wishing of former colleagues.
I am two months into new job. A colleague I had spoken with about possibly coming back to work for in 2-3 years started getting responsibilities sooner than normal wants me back and is verbally throwing around offers that would be a 20% raise from the current job.
Current job is turning out to not be exactly what I thought. It's sort of like I thought I was taking a Systems Administrator job, and that's what my title and pay are, but I do 99% tech support alongside other people who are both Tech Support in job title and Systems Administrator in job title. The whole reason I took this job was technical development. However, I don't believe the hiring manager intentionally misled me, I think I didn't ask enough questions and maybe looked at the situation through rose-colored glasses. The final hiccup is, current job is a career federal position. So the usual advice that your employer wouldn't hesitate to fire you isn't as true, and the amount they had to invest to hire me as well as train me is not insignificant.
My commute is worse, my office environment is worse, and of course I miss a lot of the people I worked with for 10 years. The folks here are nice, but the turnover is higher and the comradery not as strong.
Everyone in my personal life, as well as my colleague from former employer, suggest I should take the money and run. Former colleague might be patient, but I don't know how much I want to test that. Also yes I don't have a written offer yet, but I suspect as soon as I say 'yes i'm ready to come back' I'd have one quickly, and don't want to burn former colleague by waiting until then to make the decision. I'm also confident the job would be better than my current job, though it's possible it won't be great, I won't really know until I do it. I'm concerned with the moral/ethical implications of leaving my job so early. Nobody misled me. On the other hand, 20% is a huge pay bump that would likely take me 10+ years here to earn, I don't like my job, and the opportunity may not wait for me. Also this is only my second professional experience in the field. Leaving it on my resume would look bad should I ever decide to leave former employer, but leaving it off will mean I look like I've only ever worked for one shop.