This question already has an answer here:
I found a position advertised via a meetup mailing list and I applied on Monday, had an interview on Tuesday, got an email on Wednesday saying they are interested in making an offer and asked for references. Friday they asked me about my current salary.
- The advertised position (which I found after the interview) is Senior System Developer for £35,000-47,000
- My last work was 1 year internship at a famous company for £20,000 and later contract work for 2-3 months for £80,000
Since everything went so fast, I would think that they really want me (since also they had other candidates the same day I was interviewed). Is this a good time to ask for more money than I would normally expect?
- Should I give them the salaries I had at the internship and contract work or just tell them a range that I look for in the next job?
- What should that range be? Even if I am a junior/mid-level, could I ask for something like £40,000-45,000 or should I stick to something low? Will I come out as greedy?
- What's the worst thing happening if they see that I ask for too much?
I do not have much industrial experience but I have some nice open-source projects that shine and I think I just got lucky at the interview of showing off those things. I am not senior, but a rather hard-working junior/mid-level developer. I am really confused on what to do.