It was hard to make the title accurately represent the question, so please read the following:
In October I was given my first (and, at the time, only) job offer at company A. I was told I had until mid November to accept it.
Later on I interviewed at my absolute #1 choice company, company B. They didn't get back to me for weeks, and my deadline with A was approaching, so I asked A for an extension. They gave me another few weeks, until yesterday.
My problem is what happened between getting my extension with A and yesterday. I will note out in chronological order exactly what happened:
- Friday, November 20. B got back to me with a phone call, in which they said they were giving me an offer. They told me the position, salary, benefits, start date, the whole buffet. My memory is fuzzy because I was so ecstatic, but on the phone he told me I'd get the offer letter by the end of the day.
- End of day Nov 20, no offer letter. The deadline with A draws nearer.
- Because of the weekend I wait until Monday 23rd to ask when I might expect the official offer letter. They say because of Thanksgiving, I'd "likely get it early next week." Next week being this week.
- December 1st, my deadline with A, passes. I couldn't get another extension, so I lost that offer.
- Today, Wed the 2nd, I email the recruiter politely asking when I might expect an update, and explaining about my expiring offer with A. I figured Wednesday was after "early in the week." I send that email around noon, giving them plenty of time in the workday to respond, but got nothing.
So that's it. I guess now my questions begin.
(But first, don't assume I've been nagging them or emailing them constantly about it -- that might seem so when shown in chronological form like this, but so far I only asked them about it once on the day of the offer and then again almost two weeks later, both times politely, and after their own missed deadlines).
So here are my questions:
How much should I freak out? How likely is it that a very reputable corporation, which must be very good at hiring, makes such a big mistake they delay the offer letter almost two weeks after telling the candidate about the offer? How likely is it that I'm in a situation in which they drop the verbal offer they gave me?
What goes on behind the scenes at huge companies like this that might delay the letter so long?
What would you have done in my shoes, with Offer A expiring, and a verbal offer from B on the table, given that B could give out no further extensions?
Sorry for being wordy, thanks for reading.