I handle a small development team in a startup company. We are limited in resources and amount of people in the team. But recently, the owner of the company started asking ridiculous and unrealistic expectations from the team. Some examples are below:
- The team does not have a designer nor a front-end developer. But they want a perfect, modern, eye catching and highly usable interface where you can do everything in one to two clicks and yet you do not want to overwhelm the users with too much information on the screen. The back-end developers are being blamed based upon mistakes on front-end development where they have no experience nor design applications.
- Incomplete mockups submitted by the management where we have one of the two problems; They expect to be developed even though it is not agreed upon causing many patches, or agreed upon and developed and then nobody thinks it is appropriate feature anymore. I would not mind some changes as those happen normally, but it becomes the mistake of the development team somehow. In both cases, the task keeps stuck in the loop for a long while and then it is team's fault.
- The company does not have any person with UX experience and yet they are blamed about usability issues. We even brought at the end a usability expert and said there are only minor issues.
- We currently are requested to do an amount of job that needs at least three times the amount of people to handle it with such deadlines and expectations. I cannot ask the team to work so much after work, so I end up working around 80 hours per week (no weekends) just to try to reach the expectations and yet don't reach it somehow. It has been going on for two months with that high amount of hours.
- After a task is completed, they focus on small stuff that are barely important rather than the functionality. In the last task, they got angry of a spelling mistake written by someone whose second language is English and did not even try the functionality itself.
- They either don't read emails or forget quickly. Many things were mentioned lots of times and then at one point it becomes new news.
I have mentioned in many occasions what we are missing but rarely get a solution. That behavior was not like that before and they were quite appreciative and nice. I would like to have a long term solution to fix that issue. How can I enforce the management to follow a clear system when requesting a task? and how to deal with unrealistic expectations with no to limited resources related to that part?
Any assistance is appreciated