A person in our organization recently sent out an email implicitly calling out my team for not responding in a timely manner to an issue, and demanding that we act. I believe it was done unprofessionally primarily because he cc-ed several people outside the company who are involved with the project. He just wanted to make himself look like he was doing something for their benefit. The demands themselves are also unreasonable because
- Both my boss and I have informed him several times of our priorities and responsibilities that explain why we have deferred this particular issue.
- He already has our team calendar, in which we are clearly on a skeleton crew this week due to the winter holiday.
I already responded politely, but firmly to the concrete demands he made; however, I'm at a loss how to handle the rudeness and unprofessional nature of the email. This person is slightly senior to me, although not directly in the same part of the organization. Should I…
- Ask my boss to talk to him? (I am concerned this implies I can't handle it myself; Also, my boss is on holiday and won't do anything soon.)
- Reply directly, but cc my boss, with something like "In the future, I'd appreciate it if you didn't include third parties when calling out teams within your own organization."
- Something else I haven't thought of?