I am currently quite happy with my current company and role except the commute to workplace, it got to a point that I could not longer do it so I applied for a new role near my home and offered a new job.
I then set up a meeting with my manager and explained this to him 3 weeks ago telling him that I have a new job offer and wanted to resign because of the commute, told him the new place expects me start at the end of January (I am on a 2 months notice and in the UK).
He then offered me a chance to work from home which I said I would accept and stay here but this needs to be approved by the head office, currently I am waiting the answer from the head office which will come in the new year.
I have not given a formal resignation/notice letter but verbally explained my intention of leave. I also explicitly stated to my manager if working from home option is not possible I would be leaving at the end of January, however now I am thinking if this was the right approach. I have now a few options:
- Do nothing. If I can't work from home I will leave at the end of January (but if the company wants me to serve a notice period based on the date of telling me I can't work from home then this will cause a problem as I need to start the new place at the end of January)
- Write a formal resignation letter today explaining I verbally resigned 3 weeks ago and unless I am given permission to work from home I will be leaving at the end of January.
I have quite a good relationship with my manager and really don't want to upset him/the company and want to part on good terms, which one of the above options is good or are there any other way I could handle this?