Say, you're recruiting a person from India and wanted him to join your company in US.

In such case:

  • What does it take to get this authorization?
  • How long might it take?
  • Is there additional cost to the employer?
  • 3
    Get an immigration lawyer. – user1220 Jan 11 '16 at 17:37
  • 4
    There are so many variables that it isn't funny. It depends heavily on the specific country, and yes, there will be anywhere from 5 to 10k cost to the employer – user1220 Jan 11 '16 at 17:43
  • 1
    @DavidK Not Travel. Travel is for short-term things like vacations. Expatriates might take it, but they are more from the side of the person moving. – DJClayworth Jan 11 '16 at 17:58
  • 2
    Here's a short introduction from Nolo. – mkennedy Jan 11 '16 at 18:23
  • 1
    I lean toward keeping it open. The sordid state of affairs around the US H1B program is widely known. If someone else asks a question about getting a job in Benin while living in Paraguay we can decide if that's too obscure separately. – Dan is Fiddling by Firelight Jan 12 '16 at 0:33
  1. Typically you need to sponsor an H1B visa application. See http://www.workpermit.com/us/investor_h-1b.htm
  2. It can take years. H1B are issued once a year and there is a lottery. The lottery makes it unpredictable.
  3. Typically in involves an immigration layer to file the application. Many thousands of dollars
  • Is H1B the only visa-type? I have heard of cases when people get the visa in days. – user12374 Jan 12 '16 at 5:28

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy