Long story short:
- Was assigned support ticket to work on (as expected as part of my job)
- A short while after starting work on the ticket, an email went out to my team saying to "Not start working on any recently assigned tickets". As I had already started working on the ticket, I chose to continue and finish it off, and to take this advice for all future tickets.
- Was then given a written disciplinary in reference to my insubordination regarding this ticket. I have been invited in for a chat tomorrow, which I presume will not be pleasant.
The way I see it, I have two options:
1) I take the defensive ground, try to justify my actions and point out how (I feel) this situation is slightly unfair
2) I apologize for my actions, kiss-and-make-up sort of thing
Please keep in mind I do normally like this job and would like to keep it. What would a manager truly value more in this scenario?