Was contacted by an external recruiter and told of a role over the phone. My initial thoughts were hesitant and so thought about it for a week or so. Eventually decided to contact the recruiter and apply for the role as after some consideration I think it might be a logical career step forward.
A few days passed and nothing happened, so I contacted the recruiter and he said because of the week/ten day delay in me confirming my application, I/we might have been too late to the party as he'd learned they were starting 2nd stage interviews.
I trust the recruiter, but as the job itself is still today listed on the employer's website, would it benefit me if I contacted the employer directly to follow up on my application and reaffirm them I'm really keen on the role?