I am invited to a dinner with people who work in an embassy. It is a kind of special dinner for celebration of Belgian King’s day and on the invitation is was written: dress code: royal touch.

What type of clothing is that? I was not able to "google-search" it.

  • 5
    I fail to see what this has to do with working conditions - it appears to be off-topic to me. – Oded Nov 14 '12 at 12:28
  • 5
    sure it is not with event directly under a working condition, but since there will be people from work, it can be considered as a work-related event, cannot? According to my experience, people who work in embassies consider these dinners(events) more or less as one part of their work. – MasterPJ Nov 14 '12 at 12:34
  • 5
    @Rarity Sure it is not that important, no one will execute me if I will have a red tie. I am not asking how should I dress for the dinner. The question is: how the royal touch dress code looks like? I was not able to find the info on the internet. When I find something I do not know I like to know. Since dress code as a topic in general belongs to workplace environment I though that someone here can know the answer. – MasterPJ Nov 14 '12 at 14:40
  • 9
    I agree that this is not off-topic. Dress code is very much a part of the workplace, and even if this question is not about a work-related event, it should still be on-topic because its a question about dress code, not an event. I wouldn't close a question as off-topic just because someone was asking what "business casual" was for a social event instead of an interview, and wouldn't close a question that asked what the dress code "Penguins" meant for an interview. This question is about a dress code, not about an event, and I view dress code questions as on-topic for this site. – Rachel Nov 14 '12 at 14:44
  • 6
    See discussion here: meta.workplace.stackexchange.com/q/528/325 – Monica Cellio Nov 14 '12 at 16:30

I'm fairly sure there is no dress code called the "Royal Touch", and it's likely they are just trying to have some fun with their choice of words.

I have heard that phrase used when talking about the Royal Wedding or "Royal Touch Wedding Dresses", so it is possible they are trying to tell you to dress as nice as you would for if you were visiting royalty, going to a wedding, or going to a royal wedding.

Personally, I would just ask them to clarify as I've never heard of a dress code called the "Royal Touch" before (neither has Google), so it would not be unreasonable to ask for clarification.

  • 5
    You were right, there is no dress code as "Royal Touch". What they meant this time (and cannot be probably apply in general) is to dress kind of nice (not formal) with possible royal accessories. for women:diademe, some things for the hair, wearing pearls, gloves,false pearl...men:scaf, hat, walking stick, bow-tie It was an initiative to make the dinner a little bit different from others. – MasterPJ Nov 16 '12 at 8:49
  • @MasterPJ Thanks, I was hoping you'd share what that actually meant when you found out :) – Rachel Nov 16 '12 at 12:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .