Just went through a round of interviews and liked the company.
But not any more than my current Job.

The offer was lower than I am willing to take to move to a new job. So I am going to send a rejection e-mail. The question is how much detail do I go into? Do I try and explain why or simply say thanks but no (with some extra fluff to be polite).


Based on Joe's comment below.

I think the goal here is provide an opportunity for the new company to make a better offer. But I am not going to be devastated if they don't up their offer. So advice on how to reply in this situation.

  1. Do I say no thank you (and hope they make a better offer).
  2. Do I say no, with explanation (if so what level of detail do I go into).
  3. Do I try and ask for a better offer and specify what I am willing to go for (The trouble here is deciding what Bonus/RSU are really worth to me (in reality very little)).

Are there any things I should watch out for?

This is some details about the offer.

Second part of the question is my reasoning sound?

Current Salary:    190 + NoBonus  + Stock Options (currently worth nothing)
Offer:             180 + 36 Bonus + 5K RSU (first year)

The new offer has RSU which vest over 4 years but are back end waited at 15%/20%/30%/35%.

My argument is that Bonus is nice. But not part of my salary so I can't count on it. RSU are fine but the companies share price has dropped 30% in 3 months and 60% in the last year so I am not seeing any real value there.

So the base salary is lower.
Base + bonus is larger but it assumes I get the bonus which depends on the company/division being profitable.

Though my current stock options are not worth anything. They amount to 0.5% of the company (Current valuation $135,000,000) and if I leave I have to take the gamble that they will be worth something eventually and actually purchase the options (which will be $50K) within 90 days of leaving.

Thanks for any input.

closed as off-topic by paparazzo, gnat, Jim G., keshlam, Masked Man Feb 25 '16 at 0:33

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions asking for advice on what to do are not practical answerable questions (e.g. "what job should I take?", or "what skills should I learn?"). Questions should get answers explaining why and how to make a decision, not advice on what to do. For more information, click here." – paparazzo, gnat, Masked Man
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • @JoeStrazzere: That's actually a good question. I am not adverse to another offer. But then again historically I don't have a good feeling about trying to push harder (they knew my current base and options position before they made the offer). So let me edit this question to say I am looking for a better offer. – Annoymous Feb 24 '16 at 20:39
  • FWIW, several relatively recent IPO's took off to a high share price while just the principals were able to sell, then dropped to a lower level when the rank and file were able to sell, then went lower than that for a while because the market overall was low, then went back up. I wouldn't discount the RSU's. RSU's at a fixed amount while the share price is low could go through the roof. – Amy Blankenship Feb 24 '16 at 21:08
  • What sort of environment is it ? What is the corporate culture like ? Are the tasks/projects interesting and challenging ? What other benefits do they offer ? And many many more things.... I don't want an answer to these questions, I'm just trying to tell you that there's more to an offer / job / company than money... – Radu Murzea Feb 24 '16 at 21:37
  • 2
    You're not sending a rejection, you're negotiating (or not). Send a counter. – jimm101 Feb 24 '16 at 21:48
  • 1
    Rather than say no just ask for whatever money it would take. You're no worse off if they decline. – TheMathemagician Feb 25 '16 at 12:58

It seems you're not really trying to reject the offer, but get the organization to make a better offer. As the comment by @jimm101 suggests, don't send an outright rejection. So, go with your option 3 - send something that tells them that you're interested in the job, but that their offer isn't acceptable and make a counter offer that you find acceptable.

A few years ago I was in a similar situation and successfully negotiated an acceptable offer by sending something like the following:

Dear (HR rep - in my case, adjust as appropriate):

Thank you for your email offering me (position). I enjoyed meeting with your company, am interested in the position, and feel I would be an excellent fit.

Unfortunately, your offer is not one I can accept. For me to leave my current position and join you, I require (whatever salary, options, and benefits you (reasonably) want).

Thank you for your time and attention.

Sincerely yours,


Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.