I'm considering resigning my salaried position. I want to leave on good terms. When asking to be replaced, would it be unprofessional to pose what is essentially an ultimatum?
I had expected the Project X to transition from development to maintenance by the end of last year. I'm eager to move on with entrepreneurial and civic philanthropy projects.
Please begin seeking my replacement. I'm willing to remain on board until the end of April, or for as long as we're willing to back-burner Project Y and Project Z to focus exclusively on readying Project X for deployment, whichever is longer.
Some details which may or may not be relevant:
- I'm the sole developer for the client side of Project X.
- The language and platform are popular, but nobody else at the company is experienced with them.
- I probably could not be replaced for less than 150% of my salary.
- I'm mentally and financially prepared to be let go immediately.
- I like my employer personally and I have a personal interest in seeing "my" project completed.