I recently resigned from my job to start a new job. However I was asked to delay my last date because we are short of people and I was responsible for number of projects. I agreed to continue for couple of more weeks, since I was still waiting on some papers. Most of the formalities related to my work transfer has been completed by now, including exit interview with HR. I still have a week or so before I leave.
Problem is for my next job I still need to get some paperwork done. I had estimated it would be done by my exit date but there have been unseen delays. So right now I will be unemployed for a month or two in between switching jobs. I do not have any issues with it, but would prefer to continue working, if possible.
Is it okay to ask my current employer to postpone my exit date? I have already trained my replacements, so they might have to find something temporary for me. Not sure if it matters, but this is a company with ~30 employees.