I have been unemployed since Xmas 2014. I took voluntary redundancy because the company I worked for at the time was putting me in a very stressful situation and not really giving any indication that improvements might be on the horizon. In the year I was unemployed I have plenty of interviews. In early October 2015 I found a company I liked, the interview went well and I was given a conditional offer within a couple of weeks. I was very happy and excited thinking I'd be working within a couple of weeks. Sadly the company took their sweet time giving me any further information. I had to get a health clearance but they were very uncommunicative and I barely heard anything until late Jan 2016. Because I was on JSA during this time I had to keep looking for and applying for jobs in the meantime despite knowing I had a job. I was just waiting, waiting, waiting to find out! Eventually I started on Feb 22nd. I like the people but all of the same identical issues exist from my old job plus I really don't like very many things about my office, working style and organization of daily tasks. I figured I'd get used to it though the first week I was extremely disappointed indeed. Last week I got an offer of interview with one of the places I applied to during my wait over Xmas. It looks to me like I have a very good chance of getting this role and that the working style/office etc is much more suited to me. The money is slightly less but the commute is so much better.
My question is, if this second job wants me and I like them, what is the correct procedure to follow in this case? I am expected to give a weeks notice, however as this is a technical role it seems to me rather pointless that they would have me sitting in the office for an extra week of shadowing as I am still too new to do anything but watch and learn.
I felt nervous about the first job as they took so long to hire me and I was very irritated by being left hanging for almost four months. But if this other role offers me peace and a better run work environment I will be very tempted to take it, if for nothing other than my sanity.
What is my best plan of action, I haven't been given the other job yet, but if they did give me an offer after next week, how should I proceed?