I've been working as a freelancer for almost 2 months, full time, for the same company. No prior freelance experience. As per the contract, they have 30-45 days to deposit the money in my account.
I sent an email with the invoice, 3 weeks ago. Got no response. I find it extremely unprofessional, and really don't want to work any further with a company that, having its own payment department, fails to answer something like "received". Also, I'm not talking about a small company.
I got plans of writing an email in 3 days (Monday) stating that, unless I get a response, I won't work more than that week.
My question is:
- How are this situations handled? Would it be better to just wait for the last day of payment that the contract says, and then take legal actions?
- How can I write this email, considering that, if I receive an answer through the next week, I am interested in continuing working for the company?
- If I do get paid and continue with the company, but this happens again, how could I handle it?
I'm not complaining about not getting paid. I find that not giving any kind of answer to an invoice mail is rather unprofessional. Adding to my discomfort, they had previously behave unprofessionally, failing to tell me how/when to do the previous steps (sending and confirming the hours I did); and how/when to send the invoice; for everything regarding hours/payment, I have always had to send them emails insisting/asking to know how the process works. Also consider that if they fail to answer the invoice, I never know if they could have a problem with the bank/invoice details in the last minute, thus breaching the contract (if they informed me in say, the 44th day).
- for what I've been told, the client is really happy with my work
- I talked to the person in charge of the project about this, who supposedly sent a message to the person in charge of the payment, but I don't know anything else about it.
- I obviously have to invoice the work I've been doing this past weeks, next week (for a total of 4 weeks).
This behaviour has been the same for all the 4 months working with them; I send the invoices, the accounting team doesn't answer that or the other 2 emails asking for a response; 3 weeks passes, I tell that to my contact in the company, and after 10 days I get the payment. So this is indeed a company with a serious problem making their payments and having a respectful communication with their contractors.
Thanks everyone for the input.