I currently work as a developer on a platform that demands certifications. Without these certifications, you're basically out of the running for any role that requires development on this platform. As it stands, I hold a certification on said platform.
Earlier this year, during an annual pay review I was offered a salary increase and a promotion. Additionally, after two quarters (around July) they'd review it again with a view to increase my salary again. I suppose this isn't too dissimilar to a probation period for the promotion. Regardless, all that is great!
However, I'm looking to take a higher-certification later on this year. So I was wondering whether or not to approach the business for another pay raise/review (given I'll already have had (hopefully) two already this year). I made the point to my manager that I intended on taking this.
I'm making 2 assumptions here:
- I'll get the pay raise at the end of July
- I'll pass the exam
I'm pretty confident on both points; however, at the moment they are assumptions.
My question is, given that I'll have had 2 pay reviews in a single year, is it acceptable/worthwhile/wise asking for another, given I've made myself more valuable in taking the exam and earning the certification? Or would it be best to just wait until the following year?
Edit I think I've got my answer. Generally people are saying to just wait. I think I'll likely just say in passing "Hey, I got this better certification!" Best case: they'll discuss pay; worst: I'll get a nice company-wide e-mail and a stronger position for the next annual pay raise.