Here's some background: I'm currently a junior developer at my company. I started as an intern and was promoted during a time in which the company lost two senior developers unexpectedly.
When I was negotiating the position title and salary with my manager, I was offered 10,000 dollars less than I originally asked for, but that didn't bother me. I asked for a lot considering the fact that I had not received my bachelors degree yet (Computer Science). I also asked to be titled as just developer, but they tacked on "Junior" on in light of the aforementioned fact. However, I can objectively say that I am the most skilled developer at this company. I trained the only other developer (who is titled Senior) and I interview the candidates for the other open position.
I am graduating this week, and it was initially laid out (informally) that I would have a performance review when I graduated and would receive a promotion.
However, a new, more exciting role has opened up at this company that I would like to pursue. The manager of the new department stated to my manager (who was aware of my desire to move positions and was in support) that he wanted me to come on board. The issue is that my current department can't afford to loose me until we've brought someone else on staff and I've properly trained them.
This brings us to some time earlier this week. (I honestly don't even remember what day. They all blend together because I've been getting little sleep due to exams). I walked in to work and before I'd had my morning coffee my manager pulled me into her office. She stated that the manager of the new department wanted me. She stated that they would offer me the salary I asked for initially (for my current role), but that I couldn't switch positions until November because they needed me here.
I made a mistake and just blindly agreed. That was the end of the conversation. It was an informal agreement that she needed my confirmation on so she could bring the proposal to her boss.
Here are my gripes:
I feel that I deserve the title "Senior Developer" and the original salary I asked for as compensation for the work I currently do. I am underpaid for the value I provide. I feel that I should not have to wait 6-7 months for this.
I feel that a salary for the new position shouldn't be decided upon until the work is more clearly defined. It's all a bit vague right now.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how I should approach my manager about this. I need to do this as soon as possible, both for their sake and mine. It's really eating me inside to allow myself to be undervalued.
I'm really just basically planning on meeting with her and stating the two bullet points above, but I'm afraid that It will seem like I'm going back on my word (I suppose I am)