My situation is this:
I had a company recruiter (company A) apply "pressure tactics" on me to accept the offer soon. I had benefits questions that took some time to clear, the job also requires me to move out of state, which I am ok with. With no other firm offer in hand, I gave my verbal acceptance and currently am awaiting the background check outcome (takes a week or so). The letter has:
"... is contingent upon successful drug and background check. We reserve the right to end our employment agreement with you should the results not be successful. We will inform you, once this condition is removed..."
This still looks conditional to me. I could have asked for more time, but I could not ask for a month more and a week more would not seem to make much difference, I thought. However, in the meantime, I had an interview with Company B, which is local and I have requested an early decision.
My question is if Company B makes a competitive offer, then how do I turn down Company A? I haven't yet signed any contract with them since my background check results are pending and in that sense the offer is still conditional. Perhaps it is ethics, but part of me is thinking that Company A is still reserving the right to decline pending outcome of tests/results.
Please advise what the best course is in handling the situation.
New Info: I just got a request from the background check Company A asking for 6 years of W2 to verify employment. I thought they had means to do that instead of digging through my W2? Is this normal?