I work for a French start-up and I am actively searching for a new job elsewhere. It would be my first "job transition" and I wonder how things would/should happen after a successful interview. Is the following scenario correct?
- the new company accepts my application and sends me an informal job offer
- I have a few days for thinking about it (how many? 2-3? 4-5?)
- I communicate to the new company my decision to accept or not the job offer
- assuming that I accept, I receive a formal job offer
- once I get the formal job offer, I can safely quit my current job
My question is also the following: at which point should I talk about the job offer to my current employer? If, during step 2 above, I am not actually sure about whether to accept the job offer or not, can I talk about the offer with my employer and try to negotiate my role and/or duties in the company? Especially because these are topics that I wished to talk about with him anyway. And moreover, should I see that he is not that interested in keeping me at his company, I will have fewer regrets in accepting the new job offer.
Or maybe it's better to talk with him about these topics before receiving an actual job offer? Otherwise it could be perceived as blackmailing?