On 7/22, I received an offer for a role as junior QA analyst by a company that I'm very interested in. Before listing the offer details, the CTO wrote, "This isn't a formal offer but would you be interested in this" and then listed the offer.
The perks (insurance, PTO, etc.) are average; the salary is less than I expected at $45K in a town that is 21% above the average national cost of living. Even though this is a company that I really want to work for, in a town that I love, I figured that I should probably negotiate because:
- $45K seems pretty low (it's less than what I make now in my job out of college)
- I have about 2+ years of professional dev experience (including internships)
- There is a $61K offer from another company on the table
- Many of the top The Workplace posts suggest always negotiating a new salary
The fact that the CTO wrote that it's not an official "formal offer" kind of felt like he was implying there is room to discuss the offer
Our last discussion before the offer email included him ending the call with, "We'll send you an offer with something and figure out what we can do to make this work."
So once I recieved the email that Friday, I took the weekend to think it over (figured work-related emails often get ignored on non-business days anyways) and replied on Sunday night (7/24).
In my email, I thanked them for their time, mentioned how great the interview process has been (which it truly was), how much I admire the company, and then went into the counteroffer. I, optimistically/respectfully, mentioned that the current offer was less than I currently make and that, additionally, I've been offered $53K elsewhere. Yes, I lied about the amount but that's because I figured if I told them that I was offered $61K, they'd probably run for the hills. Call me naive or dumb, but I genuinely would rather live/work in this town and for this company at around $50K than for $61K at the other company. I then concluded with, "I'll do what it takes to reach a mutual agreement and also will be frequently checking my inbox so that my response is swift!" A swift response, I felt, is necessary; the informal offer had stated that they want me to start ASAP which is August 10th.
The CTO, who I interviewed with in this company of ~30 employees, knows that I'll be out of state for six days from now until the perspective date of employment. This means I don't exactly have a lot of time to relocate three hours away if they send me a "formal" offer. So, while I know it's not been 72-hours since I sent my counteroffer, is it a bad sign if I haven't received a reply yet? The CTO has been extremely pleasent and respectful thus far so I have no reason to suspect that they'd just drop the ball on me and leave me without a reply, but the clock is ticking (and another company waiting on my response).
Should I wait it out a little longer or send a poke email?