One german company I applied for asked me an interesting question:

To give my certificates (I presume my work certificates)

Issue is I do not have any work certificates as it is uncommon in Belgium and some of the companies I worked forn are now defunct...

Do you think if I'm saying I can give references, it will be enough?


  • 1
    While I think it may be worthwhile to create a generic "What is an Arbeitszeugnis?" question, the top answer on this question basically answers your particular problem.
    – Lilienthal
    Commented Aug 25, 2016 at 12:30
  • You could also offer to provide copies of your work contracts. That would at least document your work experience.
    – user29390
    Commented Aug 25, 2016 at 12:40
  • 1
    Is it possible that they meant school and university certificates? Those are usually requested in Germany. Commented Aug 25, 2016 at 12:58
  • Thanks for your replys, All. This is a first time for me that's why I'm asking. @JoeStrazzere, you are right. I need to ask, that simple, I'm making mountains here. Thanks Everyone for being here, I appreciate.
    – John Legas
    Commented Aug 25, 2016 at 13:10
  • Everyone, I asked and it is Diplomas certificates. @StevenPessall, you were correct :)
    – John Legas
    Commented Aug 25, 2016 at 14:09


Browse other questions tagged .