This question already has an answer here:
So, I realize that there are a few questions out there like this, but not one that's specifically my situation, so I'll ask.
I was hired at 19 years old as a "Web Content Specialist" primarily to develop the company's main website and do simple content updates at $22.50 an hour (salaried, at .75 fte). Now, it's nearly 3 years later and I'm about to finish my bachelors in Computer Engineering. I know the average starting amount for computer engineers freshly finished with their degree, and it's more than double what I'm currently making. I was accepted the position at a a steal rate because I was 19 and doing undergrad work, but now that I'm nearly finished with my degree I'm feeling underpaid.
I should also mention that I am no longer working as a "Web Content Specialist" instead I'd say I'm much more of a general "Software Developer", over the past three years I've been rapidly picking up other responsibilities (as co-workers left the company, no one was hired and I was given their jobs); such as:
- Integrating previous Microsoft Access CRM system into a fresh custom build of Salesforce, developed only by myself.
- Salesforce Admin and companywide training for SF.
- Creating multiple promo apps for the iPhone, Android, and OSX platforms, used for tradeshows etc.
- Taking over all graphic design responsibilities for the entire company after my boss quit (and the position wasn't filled), oh and I'm not and never want to be a graphic designer - I just happen to be good at it.
- Taking over a secure download system/custom java website that supports the entire company in delivering their product. (Was given this responsibility after another employee quit and their position wasn't filled, see below)
- 6 members of the support staff at this company have recently left/quit (in the past 3 months, at a 120 employee company), my boss and two co-workers were among them and positions weren't filled increasing my workload immensely.
- How do I ask for a raise amounting to 30% more than I currently make, after just accepting all of these responsibilities without a caveat?
- Is it reasonable to ask for a 30% raise under these circumstances? (Noting I took over the responsibilities of someone making that much)
- How should I approach it with my boss, or the director of the company (who is one above my boss)?
- Can I go about this in asking for a new job title, (Software Developer, instead of web content specialist) which has a different pay grade in the HR department and could constitute the pay adjustment?
I know that my new boss also got a pseudo new responsibility (in managing me and one other person), got no raise, and currently makes less than I do. So I feel awkward approaching them with this.
Also - during the latest raise cycle, I was given a 4% raise, and the director of the company (analog to CEO) stopped by and told me that this is more than what anyone else got for a raise, and that he really appreciated my work and "wanted to make sure I knew that".