I recently applied for a new position at a new company. After receiving an offer, I chose to stay at my current company (my current company gave a solid counter offer with a raise and promotion, as well as other things).
A paraphrasing of the turn down went along the lines of:
"I've decided not to accept the offer.Thank you for your time, and your company sounds like a great place to work, but I feel ultimately that is isn't the best place for me."
"I'm sorry to hear that. Is there anything we can do."
"I appreciate that, but I don't think there is anything your company can do."
The next day I received a voice mail asking again if there is anything they can do and why I didn't accept. A couple of questions:
- Is the additional phone call rude?
- Is there any actual harm in letting them know the reasons?
- If I did decide to tell them, should I tell them about the things in their interview process and work environment that were an issue in addition to the counter offer?
Additional notes: I have no intention of accepting any potential offer from them because that sounds greedy, in poor taste, and I don't think they would change the offer to what it would have to be for me to accept now anyways.