This question already has an answer here:
I have two companies in two different cities, Company A and Company B. I have lived in both places before. I am currently living in the same city as Company A, and there is about two hours of driving time between the two cities. I will not live and work in separate cities, as I want my daily commute to be absolutely as short as possible. Fortunately, there is nothing stopping me from doing this for either city.
Company A is in a less desirable city, with less potential for me to grow and move forward as a person. I'm not really interested in living there. This company has given me a job offer as of tonight and expects an answer by week's end. I can say that I like the people and culture of Company A a lot, and I think I would enjoy the work too. They seem to really like me, and seem itching to fill the position soon.
Company B is in my favorite city, and will offer a lot more potential for me to move forward and enjoy life. Company B will also likely offer better compensation for the work. I have my first interview with them tomorrow. I don't know much about the job yet, but I think I would enjoy the work there too. I'm also not certain on the culture, so that remains to be seen. I also know that they took a while to extend an interview to me. I have been working with a recruiter who has told me that the turnaround on a decision should be quick, but I'm not so sure given how long it took to get to the interview. I would also have to relocate immediately for Company B's position, which they would be willing to help with to some degree. I have made it clear to that recruiter that Company B (and its city as a whole) are the most attractive option to me based on the potential benefits (and the city of residence that would come with it).
So my question is (after all that setup): Should I inform Company B that I have an offer from Company A? If so, how? I have considered two options so far:
- Tell the recruiter who has been working with me.
Pros: They might be more impartial or be able to offer sound advice
Cons: They may only offer advice against my 'safe bet' of Company A and push me to continue with Company B, which could turn out poorly. Alternatively, they could signal to Company B that I might not be interested, and that would fast-forward my rejection there.
- Tell my interviewers tomorrow that I have a pending offer with another company.
Pros: I might be able to speed up their decision-making process by mentioning that I have a deadline, and I could tell them that I prefer to work with them (for the reasons given above) which might encourage them to move forward sooner.
Cons: They may decide that, given I have another offer, I should go take it (ie. they tell me to take a hike).
I don't want to ruin my chances with Company B. Unless I really dislike the company/job/people/culture in my interview tomorrow, in the event that I can get an offer there, I would take it over Company A. However, Company A is there, now, and assuring me an offer, while Company B I have no idea on. They may be a terrible fit for me, or they may decide I'm not what they're looking for. All in all, Company A is expecting a response by Friday, and I don't want to leave them hanging, lest I lose their offer and end up with nothing.
So do I tell Company B that I have a standing offer with another company? And if so, how?