I interviewed for two openings almost in parallel. One offer, let's call it Job-A is much better for my career than (let's call it) Job-B. I have been offered Job-B and the employer is waiting for me to sign the offer letter.
It has been 1.5 weeks since the final on-site interview for Job-A. The hiring manager emailed me a week later and said that they are going through the internal process and that all he can advise is not to accept any other job offers. He is aware that I'm interviewing for other opportunities, that I have other job offers as well as the expiry dates. While he is responsive to my emails, he is not confirming that he will be extending an offer. He is expecting me to let other offers expire. Job-B expires tomorrow.
It is possible that paperwork is taking longer than expected and that he genuinely wants to extend the offer but is stuck. It is a multi-billion dollar finance company with lot of red-tape and he is new to this company. Also, during the interview process I could see that communication isn't his strong skill.
However, I do not feel comfortable passing up an offer on the table based on his "advice" not to accept other offers. Worst case, he might be interviewing other candidates, or be waiting for the other offers to expire so I cannot negotiate because I have made it clear to him that Job-A is my first preference. It sounds horrible and probably only 10% do this, but it isn't illegal. I don't personally know the guy so I have no reason to trust him. Once again, this position is a great opportunity in terms of what it can do for my career but I have a general distrust of people in senior management positions in corporate world - nothing specific about him, or the company.
Since I will be reporting to him, I want to make sure that we do not start on the wrong note. How do I tell him that his "advice" is not enough to pass up an offer? And to send me a formal offer letter without sounding desperate or making it seem like I don't trust him?
UPDATE: So I gave the hiring manager of Job-A an ultimatum saying I need the offer letter today to wait longer. He came back in two hours and said that I should go ahead with the offers that I have because it will take him a month to make a decision because now they are changing the job requirements! Only after I pushed back, I got to know the real situation. Until then, he worded his emails as if the decision is made, he's just going through formality. He said I did well on the interview but he cannot offer me the job right now.
I know that he never offered me the job to begin with, but I let myself believe that he will soon because he outright asked me not to accept other jobs. Following this, he also asked me some questions regarding start date. This, the fact that I knew I did well in the interview and that I really wanted the job put together I let myself believe that I had the job.
I am moving forward with Job-B at this point.
To all those who reminded me that I don't have the job till I have it: Thank you!