I work in Europe for a startup, but my company has also an office in the US. So last Friday the director asked me if I wanted to go to the US for one week in order to finalize project X (with an extension of one week if project X wasn't ready yet).
When the director asked me that, I replied YES. However, I only had one day and a half to prepare for my trip (asked on Friday, left on Sunday). But I accepted anyway because I've never been to the US and I thought it would be a great experience.
Back to today, I'm in the US and I almost finished project X (so in less than one week), and I'm ready to go back to Europe. I actually WANT to go back, because I don't like it here for different reasons (I'll save you the reasons).
Anyway, yesterday my CEO came up to the office and said: "I have great news, you are going to stay 3 weeks!" (because some other projects came up), to which I replied: "well... 3 weeks weren't even planned, so I have to check back at home if it's actually possible". Of course, with an extension of 2 more weeks, they would rent me a car, and provide me with a better "situation".
However, I just checked, and for me it's not possible to stay longer. I've already mentioned that I have some pending personal stuff in Europe, and I don't like it here. I also believe that I can do the same work I'm doing here back in Europe.
So I basically wrote an email to my CEO and to the director which included something along these lines: "I don't want to sound like someone who doesn't appreciate what you have done for me, but I strongly prefer to go back this week. The deal was for one week, and I've done my job. I had only one day of notice for this trip, so I have personal stuff pending at home. Moreover, I believe I can do a better work in Europe for different reasons". I didn't phrase it exactly like that, but you got the drill.
The CEO replied: "Let's talk it tomorrow at 8:00 in the office". Then I received another email from the director saying: "I know we had a different deal, and I've already spoke to the CEO. Think about staying in the US or going back to Europe. If the outcome is the latter, please think about how you can help your colleague in the US".
What do you think about the situation? I've been honest with them, but I don't want to "destroy" my career because of this trip. How should I behave tomorrow with the CEO? What should I tell him (same things I already said?)? Any advice about it?