I've had a technical interview with one person (software development) and I don't usually request for code samples. Reasons aside, this one person offered to show me code that they've been doing for their current employer.
Should I accept? Could I keep a copy?
Here are the reasons why I think I shouldn't:
- It is another company's property
- I don't yet have any legal arrangement with this interviewee or their company
- Even if I didn't ask, there's no proof of that, so I could not defend myself if i got into trouble
Here are the reasons why I think I should:
- It is really valuable information, specifically when evaluating on code quality and cleanliness
- They said it was fine, since they could always write it again
- The most raw information I can receive from a candidate helps in validating my assessment with other evaluators
For context, I work in the US, but I was seeking for answers not giving legal advice, but rather is this is common/uncommon or advised/unadvised for companies to do.