Recently, after doing some interviews, I received a very nice offer from one company (let's call them A).
One of the other places I interviewed at (B) had made very positive remarks following the interview, so I sent them an email to ask them if they had made a decision. In the email, I also notified them that I had an offer from a different company.
I am fairly confident that I will accept company A's offer, but I want to have as much information as I can before making a decision.
Company B said they were writing up an offer for me. They promised to send me the official offer in a few days, but in the meantime, they're asking me about my preferences around a few details such as the start date.
I don't want to reject their offer before seeing it, but it feels dishonest to discuss these details when I feel confident that I will accept company A's offer. Particularly, it feels to me as though I am in a negotiating stage with company B before they give me an official offer.
I am also still gathering a few last pieces of information from company A which might cause me to reconsider, so I want to emphasize that I am not merely trying to get information from company B for my ego's sake.
How should I proceed?