This is a Dilemma I've been fighting for some months now. I was recently hired as a Developer and I have a Team who's based onshore while I am their first and only offshore personnel in the team. We have provisions (Laptop, VPNs) to Work from home (WFH) and while I didn't have those provisions yet, I went to the office everyday. Since I got my provisions, I rarely go to the office since i basically have everything i need to do my work.
I haven't been going to the office for the past two months because:
- I don't have team members in the office / in the country
- I usually work almost 'round the clock (to somewhat compensate for me being WFH all the time).
- I get to spend less time in traffic, thus, no tardiness.
- I'm a First-Time Dad of a newborn and live alone with my Wife (she needs a hand at home).
- I feel I'm more productive at work when i'm working from home because of #2 and #3.
No one really questions me but I somehow feel guilty about it since I used physically go to the office. My Onshore Manager knows I work from home, but I'm not sure he knows how often. To give context, I had the following casual conversation with my Manager once during a Skype Call:
Manager(MM):"So, when did you last report to the office?"
Me (ME): "I think it was last November. (Chuckle)"
MM: OK, No Worries, I was just checking if you've already met with ... "
and the conversation continues unrelated to me working from home.
What is the best approach I should take to request if I could permanently work from home?