I was asked to do a second round of phone interview since the first one didn't go well enough to fly me onsite. I will not have more than 1 hr/day to study since I'm working 2 jobs and am behind in schoolwork. My recruiter told me I can go at whatever pace I want, but I'm worried it will be a huge red flag to ask for the interview to be scheduled for May.

  • 1
    @Jen That is true. I know the feeling on burnt out well. How do you usually study? An hour solid, or the oft talked about study session with a break in the middle? Like I am really one to talk about scheduling, I am working full time on an unpaid internship, and decided to toss in Japanese 1.....I am likely going to have to retake Japanese 1 as this internship is kicking my behind. Feb 14 '17 at 6:41
  • 4
    I wish people who downvoted questions would post why. I see this question as valid, not sure what the downers are seeing. Feb 14 '17 at 6:42
  • 2
    This is pretty much a duplicate of "Is three weeks too far out to schedule a follow up meeting?" though with an even longer timeline. It think the OP is talking about wanting a level of preparation that should not be required even for Google, and that this is not about being unable to make time available for the interview itself; but since others disagree this should remain on-hold. Frankly, if you can't find a single day in your schedule for an interview when you're "just" a student I would assume you're not Google material.
    – Lilienthal
    Feb 14 '17 at 9:20
  • 1
    Please don't vandalize questions, not even your own. I've rolled it back to the previous version.
    – Erik
    Feb 16 '17 at 6:16
  • This is a perfectly valid question, on-topic and should not have been down-voted. Or vandalized. Please reopen immediately. If it's a duplicate, identify the duplicate.
    – smci
    Dec 8 '17 at 18:18

I've experienced Google interviews in which I've delayed the interview process to ensure that I had a better crack at the job. It was less of a matter of worrying about my circumstances and more about communicating with their recruiter and setting their expectations in the matter.

If you're in doubt, talk to your recruiter. They are the authoritative source on the timeline that you have.

You won't miss your opportunity if you ask them for a bit of time, but you would miss it if you didn't study properly. From every Google engineer I've talked to in and outside of the interview process, taking time to study is not a bad thing.


Interview now. Candidates tend to overestimate what they can accomplish by slowly studying over several months.

Alternately: ask the recruiter directly how the delay will impact your application. There is no reason they would be dishonest about this.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .