I am interviewing for a "Full-Stack Developer" position at a start-up. I have cleared on phone interview and one onsite interview where I was asked technical questions. After the onsite interview, the interviewer told me that I would get an assignment which I will have to complete in 2 days.
When the assignment came, it surprised me as what they are asking me to do is almost like to add a full new feature set to their existing tool. I am mentioning the requirements below:
Solution must use the most recent version of Laravel framework, MySQL
and any other open source libraries/frameworks as required.
• Customers should be able to easily create, update and delete new
documents within a password protected control panel.
• Documents can be either published or private. Private documents exist in the
database but cannot be viewed publically.
• Customers should be able to customize document title, summary, body copy
and add image or video assets.
• Users should be able to sign document by filling out a form consisting of
name, email address and phone number.
• When users sign a document they should be presented with a customizable
thank you message and receive a customizable thank you email from the customer.
• Customer should be able to view all users who have signed documents
within a password protected control panel.
• User management
• Custom document fields
• Send users SMS thank you message upon signing documents
Isn't this too extensive to be a part of the interview? I am also curious that who has the rights on the code that I write. What if I do all this in 2 days and submit the code, they don't offer me a job and just end up using all the functionality that I created? Has anyone been in this situation before?
Any help from the seniors would be appreciated!