I'm currently contracting for a firm in the UK. I am on a 12-month contract which comes up for renewal end of April.
I'm also planning on moving to a new city in the summer (some time in August).
While I move I want to take a three week period of leave, and after I have moved it will no longer be practical for me to commute to work every day, so I plan to approach my employer to ask for the leave, and to propose a flexible working arrangement when I come back from leave.
My question is about when to make the approach.
I could approach now, so as to give them maximum notice of my change of circumstances. However, I am wary that this will influence their decision of whether to renew. Or I could wait until after I have been renewed (May).
My goal is to get the best outcome, which would be a renewal based on my going onto a flexible working arrangement after the summer. The renewal is important to me because I like working here and feel a sense of responsibility for my project. I won't overly struggle to find new work if I don't get renewed.