I accepted a job offer, received a start date, and all the other details of the job. I received an email from a company that does background checks and one of the questions is if they can contact my current employer. I don't start the new job for a couple of months, is it fine to say "No" to contacting my current employer? I just want to make sure everything passes and the new job is 100% secured.

Will it look bad on the background check if I select "No"? I want to keep working at my current job as the new job doesn't start for a few months. I feel like it might look bad if my current employer knew that I'm searching for other opportunities.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you.

  • 1
    " I want to keep working at my current job ". That's your answer
    – Jon
    Mar 10, 2017 at 5:37
  • Thanks for the reply. So it won't look bad on the background check?
    – Vylic
    Mar 10, 2017 at 5:48
  • 1
    Saying No would be a red flag to your new employer and saying yes would be a red flag to your current employer. Just say No and stay in your current job that you like
    – Jon
    Mar 10, 2017 at 6:09

1 Answer 1


At some point, you will have to hand in your notice with your current employer. You should inform the background check people that they can contact your current employer after you have handed in your notice.

As for the notice period, it is customary to have a handover as part of your notice period. Why not offer your employer the chance to have someone fully trained and up to speed by handing in your notice early, giving a longer notice period than your contracted minimum?

  • 3
    Agree with the answer, but be careful with wording. "Yes, after I have given notice" and "No, not now. After I have given notice, I'll send you an e-mail and you're free to contact my current employer." could make quite a difference here. Mar 10, 2017 at 22:46

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .