I've made a huge mistake and am looking for some advice. I especially need advice now because I'm an emotional wreck and don't know if I can make a sane decision on my own.
I was on rocky terms with my boss initially, but have had a very good and productive month. He's really come around to liking and trusting me, and he put me in charge of booking training for our entire organisation.
People all over our organisation are flying in for the training class on Monday (about 25 people). I called to confirm the training course details that I had booked. To my horror, I realised that I had booked the entire organisation to the wrong date (a training course starting on 3/6 instead of 3/20).
I immediately contacted the training course provider to correct the mistake, but they said there would be no refund of the cost (around $63k). They claim that they tried to contact me multiple times, but couldn't get a hold of me. (This is probably because my phone was run over by a car, so I've been without a phone for a while).
So... ultimately, I've mistakenly charged the company $63k. I also know for a fact that all of the airline tickets people bought are non-refundable. The hotels should be fine to cancel, though. And by the way, my salary is about $45k/year. I'm terrified that I will be fired, or sued, or both. I'm in no position to have either one happen.
To prevent having a panic attack, I've listed out all of the possible actions I can take. I'm not saying these are all good options, but I want to make sure I consider every possibility. They are:
- Admit to my boss that I screwed up, and pray that I don't get fired or sued
- Play dumb and act like I'm completely surprised by the training class dates
- Tell the truth, and blame this on my boss for giving me responsibilities I was clearly incapable and unqualified to do
- Call in sick for the next week, and hope that things resolve themselves
- Take out another mortgage on my house and pay the $64k myself
- Run away
Again, I'm not saying these are all good options. I just want to make sure before I have a panic attack, that I do consider every possibility.
I'm guessing that most people will say that the first option is the best one, but I know for a fact my boss has sued somebody before in a minor car wreck after they admitted fault. His exact quote was "only suckers admit fault because it opens them up to liability!"
So my questions are:
- What other possibilities am I missing?
- I recognise I'm not in a sane state of mind right now. How can I approach this rationally?
Sorry for the long post and all of the drama. I've been trying to push back tears the entire time writing it.