I am a middle eastern working in STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) field in Europe. In Academia, I experienced no discrimination, but after I joined a local company with good pay things changed drastically. I am facing discriminations of different sorts, and to give a context of how they look like I could name some:
- My mistakes are extremely magnified and my work is getting way heavier criticized, and if there is a small flaw, the conclusion that Non-Europeans are silly is immediately drawn.
- My boss tells me to my face that girls are always at the middle or bottom of STEM, and they are just not contributing much.
- They tell to my face, I have such a good luck that I look less like middle-eastern, and more like European, which I find extremely offeinsive. -...
I have a big problem with how I am treated by my colleagues and also am extremely afraid that evaluation of my work will be done in the same manner they criticize me and also I get a bad recommendation letter.
So far to solve this issue, I went to several people seeking how to resolve it , none of them gave me useful info and instead offered that I could talk to them when having problems to feel better and warned that going to HR would deteriorate my situation. My questions are:
- What are the consequences of going to HR? Is it really as bad as they say? Could I use HR as a consulting source without my employer knowing it, cause I have the feeling that people in HR have a close eye on everyone working and history track and could give better advise how to deal with a specific person?
- If not going to HR is my solution how can I solve this issue personally? Is there any way I can demand my employer to evaluate my work equally to my local co-workers and what is the right way of putting it out there?
- Is there an independent place which could assess my work in comparison with my colleagues and decides if I really deserve a bad recommendation or not.
PS: For sure I prefer to do things as peaceful as possible, and just end up in a win-win situation.