I've been working at my first job out of college for 6 months, and have been offered a job at another company. I'm probably going to accept the offer and leave my current job, but am hesitating because I love my team and boss. I was hoping someone could check my reasoning--I'm pretty sure I'm making the right choice, but I know that I'll miss the people I work with.
Pros for current job:
- Relaxed environment, flexible work hours, easy to work from home
- Awesome boss - he's a good person, a great manager, and I have a lot of respect for him. He has been really kind to me and leaving would feel like a betrayal (to me)
- Very tight team of people I really like, with diverse personalities. We hang out a couple of times a week and go away on trips together.
- Involves managing projects and working with clients. I took the job to build my interpersonal and communication skills, and to get past my shyness.
Cons for current job:
- Not intellectually stimulating. I studied software engineering (and liberal arts) in college, and while I get to do a little bit of programming, I'm not bombarded with interesting problems. I've noticed that my technical knowledge is starting to slip away.
- Poor pay. It's ok for a graduate salary, but at least 10% lower than what my other engineering friends are getting.
- I have no passion for the product or product domain
Pros for new job:
- 'Glamorous' and successful smaller (but secure) company, which purportedly has a good working environment and culture as well
- Almost 40% pay increase (my current salary is pretty low)
- Cool products that would be easy to be enthusiastic (or even passionate) about
- It's a web development job, and I've wanted to try out web development for a while. I feel like it could be the career for me, but at the moment only have an outsider's perspective on it.
- The product is for a creative industry that I'd love to be a part of
Cons for new job:
- I'll miss my team! I might keep up with a couple of them, but it's like losing a group of friends. While I'm shy, I'm definitely a people person and draw a lot of happiness from being around good people.
- Uncertainty of what it'll be like, but that's not a good reason to avoid anything in life!
Leaving seems to be the best career move, and I think I'll enjoy the work more. While I feel sick to the stomach at the idea of disappointing my boss and leaving nascent friendships, I don't think that's enough reason to pass up this opportunity (and that salary jump). From what little I've shared, am I making a sensible choice?
(I also don't plan on making a habit of switching jobs every 6 months)