This question already has an answer here:
I've been working at my current company for the 6 months since graduation and have accepted an offer of a new job (more in line with my career goals, better pay, exciting products). I have the offers in writing--as emails--and a tentative start date, but am waiting on a contract.
My boss has just assigned me a large project which I should be able to complete in the time before I leave, although it might be tight. I want to give him warning that I'm planning on leaving around project wrap up, since clients and a lot of money is involved. However, I'm not sure whether I should wait until the contract is finalised for my new job before giving notice at my current one.
Should I wait or should I give notice now? I have to give a month's notice, but that deadline would be in 10 days' time. My boss has been good to me and I don't want to inconvenience him any more than I am already by leaving.