I am currently studying for my engineering diploma and I will start my last year in September. The specialization I chose is embedded systems which I enjoy a lot, however I feel this is not what I want to work on (at least not right after my diploma).
Let me give you some context : when I needed to chose what I would study, I wanted to either do something related to art or engineering. My parents strongly encouraged me to pick the latter because it would keep many doors opened compared to art studies.
Now that I am close to finding an end-of-course internship, I realize I really want to work for the gaming industry (a bit cliché) and especially in the artistic sections (3D modelling, character design, etc). The problem is, I only have self taught experience in the artistic domain while other people applying for this type of position have been studying arts.
I tried to get the help of my school (teaching staff), my family and a few of my acquaintances but none of them could provide me with satisfying directions. In fact, I am often regarded as an immature person with a whim.
My question can be split in multiple parts :
- Is it realistic to look for jobs (internships) not in my field of study ?
- If not, is it a good idea to start art studies after my engineering diploma (knowing they cost quite a bit and take 1 to 3 years) ?
- Do self taught skills count when applying for a job ?
What would a recruiter value more :
- Self taught skills
- An actual diploma for the same kind of skills
Side notes :
- Should any additional info be required, I'd be glad to provide it
- Please excuse the mistakes, English is not my mother tongue