The company I would like to work for is a startup and may not be able to afford the salary I have at my current job. I would really like to get this position (salary is important but not the only thing that makes the job attractive). They will most likely ask me how much I currently earn, as the question seems frequent now.
I was thinking about the following options:
- Simply tell the smaller number. Probably not a good thing to lie and may have side effect of seeing me as somewhat underqualified.
- Offer part time (but if they are sure there is plenty of work this may not look for them as a solution).
- Since this is a startup, offer to pay part of the salary in equity (I am afraid this may be wrongly understood and not well received).
- Offer the first half year only with the lower salary agreeing they will raise it later.
- Simply tell verbally this is my dream position so I agree to work for less.
Which of these options would an employer like to hear the most? I am also open to other opinions of how I should handle this.