I started a new developer job 95 days ago. Prior to this job, I was covered by my parents' health insurance; however, I turned 26 one month into this job and was unregistered. My contract stipulates that after 90 days I am enrolled into the corporate health insurance plan (Oxford United in our case). I've already signed and completed the enrollment paperwork (did so my 1st day).

I do intend to take the plan since I'm presently insuranceless. The problem is that I never requested the details of the plan when I first joined (I was covered under my parent's insurance and much more concerned about the code). Considering I'm about to be enrolled, I know I should obtain and go over my coverage, deductibles, etc for the sake of keeping myself well-informed. Problem is I don't know the terminology associated with the documents that would contain such information.

What documents should I request from HR regarding the Health Insurance Plan's details?


  1. I'm a US citizen working for a US LLC owned by a UK entity.
  2. I have no intention to enroll in health care offered by a marketplace (e.g. ACA/Obamacare) given the volatility of health care legislation.


I've already filled out and signed the enrollment form.

closed as off-topic by mcknz, gnat, Michael Grubey, Rory Alsop, Mister Positive Jul 31 '17 at 11:38

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

  • "Questions seeking advice on company-specific regulations, agreements, or policies should be directed to your manager or HR department. Questions that address only a specific company or position are of limited use to future visitors. Questions seeking legal advice should be directed to legal professionals. For more information, click here." – mcknz, gnat, Michael Grubey, Rory Alsop, Mister Positive
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

  • 1
    Why don't you ask HR directly? – Dan Pichelman Jul 28 '17 at 20:17
  • I plan to. I just need to know what documents to request from them. – KareemElashmawy Jul 28 '17 at 21:16
  • 2
    Ask for everything they have. HR usually has a standard set of documents they distribute that are relevant to employees. – mcknz Jul 28 '17 at 22:03
  • 1
    At the risk of sounding snide, it's a simple as asking HR for a copy of your health plan details. – Laconic Droid Jul 29 '17 at 21:24
  • @LaconicDroid That worked. – KareemElashmawy Jul 31 '17 at 14:13

Simply tell HR that you have had a change in status due to no longer being eligible for coverage by your parent's policy and ask them how to apply for insurance and to provide the insurance details to you. The automated HR system we use, pretty much had all the details on it and that may be true for you as well. They will know what to point you to.

  • I'm already going to be enrolled. I filled out the paperwork months ago. The problem is that I forgot and never got around to asking for the plan details. I'd like to do so now; but, I don't know the name of the documents to request. – KareemElashmawy Jul 28 '17 at 21:35
  • JUst say you need to see the plan details. – HLGEM Jul 28 '17 at 21:42

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.