I have a close family member who is at a stalemate in her job search. She recently interviewed with a really great company. Assuming she gets an offer, accepting this position would be absolutely be the right decision. It would be more money, better benefits, and a higher ceiling for future growth.
The background check required due diligence follow-up with her current employer. Once her current manager learned that she was looking elsewhere, she was given a counter-offer to stay. This would be about a 20% pay increase to match the base pay she expects to get at the new company. We all agree that this counter-offer is a nice fallback, but not as good as the opportunity at the new company.
The problem is that this process with the new company is taking a long time. It has been several weeks since she was given the counter-offer to stay, but she hasn't heard from the new company other than to learn that her background check successfully passed.
So my question is: if this anticipated offer doesn't come, what is the best approach to go back and accept the counter-offered raise?
For whatever it's worth, we all agree that it would be bad faith to accept the raise, minimizing her risk, then leave a few weeks after accepting it.