Posting anonymously obviously...this is a very sticky situation.
So I manage a sales team and an intern on my team often takes clients out, both during and after working hours. I just got an expense report for $700 from our company credit card at a notorious strip club. It's the same night my intern was with a client, and I'm quite sure my intern took the client there. So I'm very concerned because:
- It's an expense over $500, that means my boss has to sign off on it too.
- My boss is very conservative.
- Even without my boss I don't think I can justify that expense.
- This client is relatively important, the only reason he was with our intern is that they had previously hit it off and my intern has acted responsibly to date. We're talking 7 figure deal.
- The client is religious, not the type I would expect to be seen at that sort of establishment. And surely he doesn't want word to get out.
Anyway, I was kinda caught off guard by this whole situation. Any ideas?
Talked to intern, it happened. Reviewed expense policy, no official policy on this. Talked to boss, intern fired, I'm on probation, no interns entertaining clients after hours, boss now approves all venues in advance. Boss will salvage deal personally, thinks we can use this as leverage.