My manager suggests (minor) lying to mitigate client's (mistaken IMO) perception of my recalcitrance. I understand and agree with logic of suggestion, but don't want to. Not following manager's guidance will likely hurt my career short term. Least bad option unclear.
Key guidance from client: Do not push back AT ALL after decisions are made by the client architect (CA). All decisions are to be made by the CA.
I am now gun shy about offering my opinion at all, even before the CA makes a decision because (IMO) he has mis-characterized my previous pre-decision behavior as "resisting". What the CA clearly wants, and pursues, is for me to tell him his decision is the right/best one. Sometimes his idea is better, in which case is easy, I say: "Your idea is even better, let's do that". The rest of the time I get through these episodes with variations of "we can do this," "not a problem," "happy to do this," etc. but it wastes time, hence the guidance from my manager.
If I just give him what he wants the risk is one or more of these bad calls comes back to haunt me/my firm. If I continue to "waste" time mollifying his need for my approval it adds (perceived unnecessary) work to my plate, upsetting my manager. If I do provide feedback pre-decision, and it is again mis-characterized my firm may lose this important client. Questions:
Should I [a] continue on mollifying the CA, [b] do my best to estimate risks and selectively lie to the CA to save time, or [c] something else?
What steps, if any, would you recommend I take with my manager?
Any other suggestions?