I have to write annual performance appraisal report for my subordinates. This appraisal report further goes to my senior for approval and then after a few months will reach to the reviewed person.
As a step toward transparency and honest feedback, I was thinking of calling my direct subordinates to me and writing their appraisal report in front of them discussing each and every point with them. This meeting will be 1 on 1, so the discussions will remain private between us.
Now my question is - Should I do it?
From where I see it, the following pros and cons come to my mind-
- He will get a direct reason and explanation behind each feedback point.
- He will get an opportunity to explain his position.
- This will improve trust and transparency between us.
- I will get to know how much he values the appraisal report.
- It will be a much more time taking and rigorous process. However, I am ready to take the pain if it improves the team morale.
- He will negotiate and try to coerce the appraisal report.
- What will happen if I have to give very poor rating to someone due to his very poor work?
PS: There are no strict guidelines regarding this in my organization. The appraisal method is not forced ranking method.