My question would essentially be encountering the following in an interview, as I've read it as something people encounter in a blog post about software jobs.
“I’m sorry but we’re looking for someone with more experience than you for this position” as a possible thing to be brought up at an interview.
Caveats/different flavors context that may change your answer, that I would be interesting in exploring
- As a student in the software industry
- As a new grad in the software industry
- As a professional in the software industry
I would imagine the overall answer be mostly the same regardless of industry but I am most interested in the software industry.
Overall if I encounter the question what comes to my mind is rather weak and something along the following :
- Mention that I am malleable, eager to learn and adapt to the style/culture of the company and although I am not the most experienced I would be happy to try and become even better than their more experienced applicants, given the opportunity and mentorship. (e.g. I won't be coming in with bad habits built from prior experiences but this is kind of a moot point)
- Emphasize my soft skills (e.g. interpersonal) and that I would like to think of myself as a pleasant and fun person to work.