[....] the salary annexure and appointment letter will be issued on your joining.
So, basically you're expected to accept an offer and join the work without having any written proof of appointment and confirmed agreement on your payout?
Anything which is not a part of written agreement from proper authority, is not part of any agreement, at all.
If I ...
What should I do?
Learn a lesson, hope company A does not initiate legal action against you, and move on.
Can I file complaint against him or his organization?
Forget you ever thought of this; you are the one at fault here.
To elaborate, unless company B used physical means to snatch that letter out of you (which constitutes a criminal case against ...
So is this offer letter legally correct or not?
It doesn't matter. You should walk away even if it is legal.
It's already a big red flag in terms of professionalism to not by default include salary in an offer letter. But to outright refuse when pressed? You're 100% in not-legitimate territory here. There's simply no reason why this would be their policy ...
A job-offer letter is just a contract where you say "I promise to work for you" and the other parties say "in return I promise the following things..."
That is all it is. You could have a job offer that says "I promise to come and drink your coffee once a week" and "In return we promise to loudly yell insults"
This job offer would be both legal and ...
I am unclear how he 'forced' you to show him the offer letter. If he said he wouldn't make you an offer without you disclosing the confidential letter from company B. It is your fault you gave in to that, you weren't forced.
What you should do is learn to walk away. The boss of company B sounds like a jerk, you don't want to work for a jerk. You certainly ...
Yes, not only that, but recommended.
The advise on pretty much all questions on this site (over and over) is:
Don't change what you're doing until you have a signed contract in your hand.
I.e. A verbal offer is only worth a strangers-word and is not concrete. Until they have sent that contract to you and it has been signed, everything is still up in the ...
This is business. Your self-worth is not at stake. You are being asked to invest your only irreplaceable resource, your time, in this company.
By trading cash salary for shares / ESOP / options / RSUs / whatever, you become an investor in the company. This is fairly common at early-stage companies. Therefore: part of your decision-making process should be ...
That’s not what you want to say. You want to tell them that you would be happy to accept their offer but can’t at the moment because of the bond.
The new company may decide to do something to get you released earlier if they want to, so your problem goes away. Or they may hold on that information and contact you in a year.
If you say you’re comfortable ...
Simply point out that you cannot consider leaving your existing position until you have the received and reviewed the full details of what they are offering, including any terms or agreements they expect you to sign.
From the comments:
"Frankly, I don't wanna join this startup at all! The ONLY reason I
want their offer is so I can use it as leverage to drive up my
compensation in other companies. So I need a safe way of accepting
their offer (without signing anything), that I can later turn down."
This is an important piece of context that should have been in ...
In the future, do not accept an offer until you've seen the written contract (and possibly the employee manual if the contract refers to it in any way).
In the meantime, proceed as if you don't have a contract yet, because you don't.
Keep on interviewing with other places. Do not stop. Do not slow down.
If currently employed, do not quit until you have ...
I think your attempt to be polite is doing more harm than good. I'd recommend being more succinct, which can both be professional and polite.
Thank you very much for getting back to me. I'd greatly enjoy working at your company, and I'm sure I'd be a valuable asset.
However, I'm currently only considering offers with an annual salary of at least XXX,...
There is nothing you can do. You've already screwed up.
This is what you should have told them instead.
"I'm sorry, but I can not in good conscience forward a private
communication sent to me from another potential employer."
Please note the purposefully vague language I'm using here. It's
important to not even disclose the name of ...
I just want to chime in since every existing answer thinks you did something wrong. It's possible that in your location/field it's considered unacceptable to share information about offers, but that's certainly not always the case.
At least in the United States and with software engineers, telling a company you have an offer from another is completely 100% ...
This is India.
Incidents like this used to happen in the past, happening at present and WILL continue to happen in future. You cannot expect any sense of ethics from the most companies and their HR representatives.
Do not hesitate to help them realize the taste of their own medicine. Write your reviews in Glassdoor, Indeed, MouthShut, LinkedIn, ...
Agree, looks super fishy.
If you have a choice, leave this company in your tracks and don't look back.
On the other hand, if you have nothing to lose and have NO other options,
go to your first day and see if they going to scam you and for how much.
Don't sign anything binding and be prepared to walk away.
P.S. Please keep us posted.
Is it okay to negotiate salary and remote work at the same time?
TL;DR: Is is OK and it is expected.
Think about this: in the job offer, if the organization mentioned only one responsibility and after accepting the offer, they tell you about another responsibility, and after joining, they tell you about several more - how would you feel?
Put all terms and ...
Given that you have answered all the questions truthfully, and did not intentionally hide / withheld information, you don't need to be worried. If you were not asked / expected to reveal any particular information, you don't need to provide it.
Just give it a couple more days. Check back same time next week, if you don't get to hear in the meantime.
Remember this next time someone tries to push you around.
Some people will exploit you. Some people will lie to you. Some people will take advantage of you. This is an almost inevitable certainty. You'll never be able to prevent it completely, but you can learn from past mistakes to help avoid future ones.
The next time someone tries to pressure you to ...
FYI, if a company is forcing you to do something you know is improper, specially doing the interview, you do not want to work for them.
Second, never tell the name of the company you have an interview/offer with. If your market is small, interviewer might figure the other company out quickly. Or, might even be friends with someone with decision power in the ...
I had offer from employer A and employer B forced me to show offer letter of A
Actually, nobody can force you to do anything. I agree that company B played dirty into tricking you to provide that information, but it was you who "agreed". They were even dirtier when the contacted company A with the info from you.
While company A has the right to make legal ...
they haven't received any confirmation from their project and that they'd contact me
A MNC has a lot of moving parts, schedules, and agendas for things to take a long time. What they told you basically was, you were selected for that project but we don't know if we need you yet.
You do not have an offer.
Keep interviewing, keep looking for jobs. Put this ...
There are good answers, but I’m going to address more simply your “what can I do?”
You can choose to not work for either of them, and/or you can make sure other people know what kind of people they are.
Negotiate for everything you want at the start.
It's best to lay your cards on the table so everyone knows what is happening, no surprises further down the line. That just makes you look like you didn't think things through seriously, which is unprofessional.
Correct it in the background check to a generic Credit Intern, chances are you'll be fine. But there's nothing else you can do unless asked. In which case you can make an explanation Best not to draw attention to it otherwise.
It's fairly minor at the end of the day and job titles are company specific, in this case the company itself doesn't know what the ...
Simply put your agreed salary in writing to them. Say that you will join then subject to them paying a salary of xxxxxx. That way you are covered. Basic terms would usually be sent in an offer letter but there's nothing to stop you saying your accepting the offer based on certain conditions, it is a two way process and they don't get to call the shots.
they said due to their policy being to not disclose this
They genuinely said that their policy is not to tell a candidate how much they will be paid?! A reasonable answer to that is "I can't tell you how many days a week I'll work for you if you can't tell me how much you're paying".
It does not have to be all in the same letter - they can write the ...
We can´t tell you what to do. First make up your mind where you ultimately want to be. Startup can be quite exciting, but can also be a hell to work in an with no experience... you will probably be expected to do get things done with little supervision.
If you want to stay at A, tell B you have singed a contract elsewhere. Tell them you are sorry but the ...
should I continue interviewing after verbally accepting an offer?
And you made a good point when you said,
I've been reading up and it seems like a verbal offer isn't really an offer until it's a contract
Ultimately, in a black and white world, that's basically true. Until you have a signed contract, you should continue to pursue options.