(I hope this is safely assumed but just in case, poor does not mean financially; in this context, poor = lacking in some characteristics; below in standards)
Two years ago, upon graduating from university, I went into (what I think is) a very nice company and have been working there ever since as a software developer. I mean this in the most humblest way but I work my absolute butt off and try my best to stay on top of work. By now, I think it's safe to say that I have a 'hard-working' image attached to myself.
Lately, I've received several requests from friends/friends of friends asking me if I can refer to them to the company I work at.
Among the people I can potentially refer:
- Some (in my opinion) are very qualified
- I think they'll both learn a lot and contribute a considerable amount
- Some, while they may have the technical knowledge - but (in my opinion) have some 'poor' characteristics
- Very forgetful, need to ask them multiple times to get things done, frequently late, sub-best effort [lack of commitment/motivation/effort]
The reason why I have considered accepting and referring all the referral requests I've received is because of two reasons:
- Who am I to claim that they are low-effort now, so they will always be low-effort? I've never worked with them so for all I know, they might be the next key player for the company
- Being their long-time friend, I wish the best for them - and I know the first job is always the most daunting.
But on the flip-side, if the work at the company requires a skillset that someone can't meet, I feel like ultimately (whether or not they get hired) it would be a waste of time for both parties. Additionally, if their personality has multiple 'poor' characteristics, they might have a hard time in the 'real-world', and potentially clash with coworkers.
So I guess I'm wondering - is it okay to refer 5+ people for a company? Would it look poorly on my part if I simply referred anyone who requested it? What are some of the 'consequences' that I could face if I keep referring people that are not qualified (both technically, and personality-wise)?