I have been working for a company for less than a month, and I just receive another offer which I consider really similar, but with a better salary. The issue is that while the workplace of the new offer seems great, I have actually spent days in the one with a low salary, which is actually a nice environment. Otherwise I would flat out switch.
Ideally, I would like to stay at the current position , and use my offer as leverage to get a better salary. Is it possible ? What is a decent way to approach this situation?
- Both positions were currently intended for people with more experience than me
- The current salary is under the median for my profile and level of experience, and 15% less than the one in the offer.
- The company A interviewed me and stayed silent for more than a month.. Then asked me to start the week after the offer. During this time, I had interviews, and the offer from company B dropped after I started working for company A.
- I had to lower my salary expectations when interviewing with company A (which I found odd I cost less than their original target candidates). During the negociation there was a line similar to "We can re-discuss about it for 2014"...
- I found out that my position was vacant for several months, and I match a set of skills which is very rare in the region
- Both companies are small (~ 50)
- The probation period is 3 months with a notice period for the end of the current month (a week min)
- I am not in the US